Sunday, March 9, 2014

Give them back.

Alfred Hitchcock never won a "Best Director" Academy Award. Since he was the greatest director of his time, this tells you just how much faith you should put into this silly Oscar competition. While I didn't see 12 Years a Slave, I knew it would win because the award often goes to subject matter rather than quality which is not to say the film wasn't a quality production. Should Schindler's List have won? I don't think so, but Spielberg chose a winning topic. Should Citizen Kane have won? A resounding absolutely. Should Titanic have won as best picture. Absolutely not! It was a laughable spectacle full of holes and I don't mean the ship.  But even more amazing to me are two other "Best Picture" awards that are nothing short of astonishing: The Greatest Show on Earth, and Around the World in Eighty Days, both overlong colossal bores, Gregory Peck was a great actor in a great film, To Kill a Mockingbird, but he didn't deserve to win over Peter O'Toole as Lawrence of Arabia.  Get over it. The Academy Awards is a popularity contest and has nothing to do with being best. It's a bunch of voters being loyal to their studio and their friends or petulantly voting against their enemies. A friend of mine feels that every year they should ask for an award back. I agree. Although I won't list here the actors and actresses and directors who I think should return their Oscars and apologize for accepting them in the first place. Sorry, but I generally detest award shows. There are too many talented people out there to narrow it down to the best of anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment