Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A proud two hours.

One of my greatest joys is one of my great disappointments. Over a lifetime I have written three screenplays (never produced), four musicals (one was produced in California) one teen romance novel (published) more than 70 short plays (home produced with a few random productions elsewhere). But the project I take the most pride in is my only straight play, The Gray List. I feel that it is the best thing I have ever written. Fortunately some others admired it, too, and it received two productions in New York City by the American Theater of Actors. Each fully staged production (one five performances, the other 12) took place at the Sargent Theatre near Times Square which gave one the illusion of being on Broadway rather than off. While the attendance was light, no one ever walked out and I got rave reviews from those who attended. Here's the disappointment part. I have sent out this play to dozens of theaters, including several here in Miami. I have had rejections from most, praise along with rejections from some, and zero response from Miami producers who I suspect don't even read scripts. It's a mystery to me why The Gray List is not being produced. But I suspect I am just one of hundreds of playwrights who cannot imagine why their inspired script is being ignored when so much mediocrity is being not only produced but praised.

Above: The superb cast of the 2013  production of The Gray List (L to R) Kitty Hendrix, Marilyn Duryea, Vincent Ianuzzi, Alan Charney, and Thomas J. Kane.

No comments:

Post a Comment