Sunday, May 25, 2014

Not available anywhere.

I do not live in a free country. I am forced to listen to someone else's taste in music everywhere I go: every store, restaurant, shopping area, coffee shop, and, in Miami, even on public transportation. I am not interested in contemporary rock, rap music, country, or even jazz. Still I am required to be exposed to those forms hours every day against my will. My interests mean nothing. I must listen to what others choose, often at too loud a volume, even when I am paying to be in the environment. For some reason no  one ever plays classical music or standards. But I don't want those either. I want the joy, the pleasure, the calming serenity of silence. But silence is absolutely forbidden in today's society. Every business must have some kind of music, whether you like it or not. So please don't say to me, "It's a free country" because actually it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment