Friday, November 22, 2013

Mrs. Doubtful.

You know what's annoying? When you hate a movie that everyone else seems to like and they can't see why you think it's so terrible. There are lots of films in this category, but right now I am thinking of Mrs. Doubtfire, which I detest. First of all I cannot, and never could, stand the mugging of Robin Williams. So I am already approaching this film with a solid prejudice. But what bothers me the most is the sheer illogic of this film. We are supposed to believe that Robin Williams manages to disguise himself as Mrs. Doubtfire at a moment's notice when the promos for the film showed us how it takes hours to get him into makeup. Now irritating people will say, "It's only a movie." which is true, but to me a movie isn't enjoyable unless there is some possibility of reality. Bringing Up Baby is only a movie, but it's also a possibility. Mrs. Doubtfire is not. I guess that's why I hate this film so much. Not so much for the overacting, the much-too-cute script, and the totally over-the-top situations, but that it's not even close to a real situation so how can I possibly get involved? But I am very much alone in this I guess because Mrs. Doubtfire was the second highest grossing film of 1993 right after Jurassic Park, which was much likely to happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment