Saturday, November 16, 2013

A dummy response.

One of the most annoying things about doing crossword puzzles in books is when the creator is wrong, you have nobody to complain to. For instance today a clue was "bespectacled ventriloquist's dummy".
I knew that Charlie McCarthy wore a monocle. Is that being bespectacled? I didn't think so. Jerry Mahoney didn't wear glasses. Madame, as old as she was didn't. It turned out their answer was the totally incorrect Snerd. Mortimer Snerd did not wear glasses. Now I paid $8.95 for this book of Mental Floss crossword puzzles  by Matt Gaffney. Does that mean that many other answers are incorrect? I doubt it. I rarely see what I recognize as a mistake. Still it would be nice to have someone to berate. which is a six-letter word for scold, rebuke, reprimand, reproach, reprove, admonish, chide, and upbraid.




No comments:

Post a Comment