Sunday, November 3, 2013

Now I can clearly see my mistake.

About a year and a half ago I needed new glasses since I wasn't seeing all that well. I went to an optometrist, got a new prescription, then ordered two pairs of glasses (one sunglasses)  which came to a total of $700.00 once they added the thin lenses, the unbreakability, the supposedly superior transitional lenses, etc. Unfortunately, I couldn't see much better with the new glasses than with the old ones. I still had to take off my glasses to read. Then to make matters worse I lost my sunglasses. I realized that even if someone found them, they would have no idea to whom they belonged. (Why don't they add chips or etch phone numbers into the ear pieces?) Deciding that I should have spare pairs, I went into a Visionworks at Miracle Center because their window sign said "Two pairs for $99" which, of course, I didn't believe. The manager quickly took my prescription assured me the deal also included bifocals, and they would be ready in three hours. I expected he would raise the price, and he did. But I felt fairly since he said my prescription was so strong that the sale glasses would be too thick, and thinner lenses would only be $50 more for each pair. I agreed, chose from among a wide selection of frames, and left.When I came back three hours later, they were ready and, for some reason, I could see better with these $100.00 (ea) glasses than the costly ones I had purchased before. What's the point of this story? Just because something cost more doesn't mean it's better. And eyeglasses, to my mind, are one of the biggest ripoffs of our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment