Thursday, November 14, 2013

Maybe you have to be drunk.

Advertising today is about as witless as it's ever been. It would seem that agencies feel they can just make any statement about any product and the consumer will read into it some meaning that is not, and was never, there. This Absolut poster is the perfect example. In this ridiculous version, it reads, "Believe in your own story" whatever that means. But in a huge nearby bus poster with the same image, the headline is "Transform today"  and even more obtuse line. What does it mean? :Drink Absolut, get drunk, and transform into someone obnoxious?"  "Drink Absolut and become brighter and more interesting? "Or just,  "Drink Absolut and you won't be the loser who drinks Thunderbird wine?" I assume that, like the sour-pussed men in most male fashion ads, this scowling, spread-legged model (am I supposed to recognize him?) is supposed to be cool. Maybe I'm out of touch with the way people think today, but I cannot imagine how this absurdly meaningless ad is supposed to make me rush out to buy Absolut vodka as opposed to some other brand that may not allow me to "believe in my own story" or, even better,  "transform today."

No comments:

Post a Comment