Sunday, November 24, 2013

How many tools does it take to change a light bulb?

You wonder what goes through the minds of manufacturers. Whirlpool for instance. I bought their washer and dryer a few years ago because I was told they were the best. They seem to be very durable. But recently the bulb in the dryer went out. No problem. I looked it up on the Internet. There was a video demonstration of how to replace it. Merely remove the Phillips screw, remove the plastic panel, remove the bulb, replace it and reverse all the previous steps. Simple. Everyone has a Phillips screwdriver. So I went to the dryer armed with this most essential of tools only to discover that on my model they had used a hex screw instead, one that wouldn't budge, one that was recessed so no pliers could reach it. Hmmm. I would have to buy a screwdriver with a hex thingee on the end. But what size? I tried to make an impression of the screw with wax. It didn't work. With aluminum foil. It sort of worked. No good. I would have to buy a wrench set. Which I did: a 62 piece tool set "for home, workshop and industrial use."  Made in China, of course, which goes against my grain. After several annoying tries I found the right size hex thingee to remove the single resistant screw. What a pain in the ass! One wonders why Whirlpool didn't use a Phillips screw on this machine like all their others?  I know this a boring story, but some people actually like anecdotes like this. I happen to be one of them. And if you got this far, you must be, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment