Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Into the Woods not out of the woods.

The only movie I have been interested in seeing in ages was Into the Woods. Since I love the stage play, I had hoped the movie would be a major success. The early reviews suggest otherwise. While it has not been panned, the suggestion is that it's good but not great despite its stellar cast. (I still have to judge for myself.) Oh, well. In a way this may be good. As a Sondheim fan, I am disappointed the nobody has made a successful Sondheim movie. A Little Night Music with Elizabeth Taylor was dreadful. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum was acceptable, but unsatisfying, thanks to the untalented Richard Lester. Sweeney Todd with Johnny Depp was a bore despite high expectations. Here's the good news. Hopefully lots of directors will want to be the first one to have a brilliantly filmed Sondheim musical, which will give Sondheim fans lots of new productions. Frankly, I have always felt that the perfect combination of Sondheim musical and director would be Company directed by Woody Allen. Allen, who captures the mood of New York City better than anyone, should make Company the crowing achievement of his brilliant career.

No comments:

Post a Comment