Tuesday, December 2, 2014

It doesn't happen here.

I would say that Miami is not a big city for readers. While I've lived here (twenty years) I've seen lots of bookstores closed. This was even before the days of the Kindle and Nook. In fact, I would say that Miami discourages reading. Perhaps they feel once people get more educated, they might leave. For instance, more and more public transit vehicles permit the driver to play loud pop or Hispanic music. This, of course, makes it nearly impossible for commuters to read, much less think. During my annual visits to New York, I always find it gratifying to see the number of readers on the transit busses and commuter trains. Of course the cars are politely quiet making such endeavors possible. On Miami transit, if you are not distracted by music or screaming announcements like, "STOP REQUESTED" there is always the person on the phone talking loudly and so non-stop you wonder if there is actually someone at the other end of the line. I clearly recall when I was living in Boston in 1966, you could not take any subway car without seeing several passengers avidly reading the hardbound edition of The Valley of the Dolls, a publishing phenomenon. I doubt there has ever been any such readership event in Miami.

No comments:

Post a Comment