Friday, April 4, 2014

Who are they kidding?

I am very phobic about flying. Although recently some of my anxiety has been lessened by pills and JetBlue. Still I would be more inclined to take the train from Miami to the Northeast if it were more affordable. I have made the Amtrak trip many times and always ask the employees, "Do most travelers, like me take the train out of fear?".  They usually suggest that the isn't the case and that people just love taking the train. This is a complete lie. Why would anyone want to sit in a rumbling train for 24 hours to travel to a destination that they could reach in under three hours in a far more comfortable jet? They wouldn't. Why would they want to pay three times as much for a cramped compartment where your toilet is in the same room, and the entire car's ventilation system is not all that great? They wouldn't. Ergo people who take Amtrak are afraid of flying. Not that there's anything wrong with that. And while I admit that watching the scenery is lovely, it's not that charming for 24 hours. I just checked on how much it would cost me to Amtrak from Miami to Washington on December 3, nine months from now. The fare for a senior in a roomette (think small) would be almost $500.00 and the travel time is over 24 hours. What would make someone book the train? Only one thing: fear of flying.  Pity American train travel is so primitive. No true high-speed trains, no modern accommodations, no reasonable prices, and no convenient routes.

No comments:

Post a Comment