Sunday, April 20, 2014

A Peter Pan pan.

I just watched the Milwaukee Ballet's production of Peter Pan on PBS, with choreography by Michael Pink and music by Philip Feeney. It was fabulous except for two things: the choreography by Michael Pink and the music by Philip Feeney. The choreography was a cornball collection of all the standard steps, including the hornpipe,  from every amateur theatrical with a hint of a seagoing theme.  It was not only cliched, but illogical. One embarrassingly bad segment had pirates dancing with Indian maidens who didn't look the least bit displeased about being held captive. The strident music was endlessly repetitive and glass-cuttingly sharp—imitation Stravinsky without any of the quality. Like most productions of Peter Pan, the flying was the most exciting aspect and was handled beautifully. Basically all the dancers were enormously talented. I thought there might be some redemption once the Darling children returned home, but that scene was one of the most insipid with the choreography bordering on a family kick line.  Anyway that was my take, but I have to accept that I am alone in my total dislike of this production since apparently (and amazingly) all the reviews have been glowing and the audiences have been giving standing ovations. If you catch this PBS special and can figure out how to respond to my blog, please tell me what I am missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment