Saturday, April 19, 2014

Why do we do it?

Here's a grammar rule I've never been sure of (other than ending a sentence with a preposition, which I just did). Does one use the word "why" after "reason"? There doesn't seem to be any need for it, and yet everyone uses it.  For instance the visual above could just as easily read, "Forget all the reasons it won't work and believe the one reason it will." It even sounds better. Are we a nation that has been wasting millions of "whys" every year?  I say starting now we all stop using "why" after "reason" and if we don't, I'd like to know the reason why.

2 comments:

  1. If you are irritated at this, how about when TV reporters and anchors implore the viewers to "Take a listen" instead of just "listen to..." or "take a look at this...," forgetting we are watching TV, not radio?

    My main punctuation peeve is when I see people adding an apostrophe to words when they are referring to a plural of something, unintentionally confusing plural with possessive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more, Kevin. And the apostrophe sin is epidemic, My pet peeve is when anyone says, "If I would have known." instead of "If I had known." Yikes.

    ReplyDelete