Sunday, April 20, 2014

Tacky promo. Tacky show.

As a fan of true crime shows, I have been amazed to discover that almost no law enforcement officer anywhere in the United States nor the people they are hired to protect knows the difference between lay and lie. Almost without exception the cop who discovers the body, the detective who seeks out the killer, and every friend and relative will tell you, "they found the victim laying in a pool of blood." This comes as no revelation to me as I have accepted that most people today, even those with college degrees, have no command of the English language. What did surprise me however was the narration on a new TV series called Secret Lives of Stepford Wives. I would expect that the writer on a TV series would have some knowledge of proper usage, so I was kind of shocked when the narrator reported that "when she came in, she found her husband laying on the sofa." On the other hand the series, which seems to find the murder of husbands humorous, is so tacky and so badly done I don't know why I would expect anything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment