Saturday, April 26, 2014

You had to say that?

I'm not a prude, but I consider myself to be a refined adult with a sense of what is appropriate. And, to my mind, constant swearing for every occasion is not appropriate. We now live in a world where a stand-up comic feels he cannot make a living unless his act has all the most common swears and incredibly vulgar descriptions and epithets. Sad. I'll often be in a restaurant and hear a woman at the next table, who looks perfectly refined using profanities and obscenities I would probably only use in the heat of a violent confrontation. Just now I watched a video on HuffPost about understanding cats. It was light and amusing and informative. But in one segment it showed a cat waving its paws and underneath was the caption, "What the fuck are you doing?" What did the contributor  feel that was needed? It isn't amusing. It's crude, strident, not in keeping with the rest of the feature, and, I suspect, angry—very, very angry.

No comments:

Post a Comment