Thursday, July 3, 2014

One of a kind.

Today, July 3rd is the birthday of George Sanders. For those unfamiliar with him (and nobody should be) he was a Russian-born (1906) English film and television actor. He was also a singer-songwriter, music composer, and author. Amazingly he was married to two Gabor sisters: Magda in 1970 for one year, and Zsa Zsa in 1949 for five years. His most famous role was that of Addison Dewitt in All About Eve, but he made dozens of films, mostly as a villain. And, of course, he was great in all of them.  I personally have been waiting to see his movie Death of a Scoundrel, which Turner is running today on his birthday.  After looking him up this morning, it occurred to me that he would have made a much better Henry Higgins than Rex Harrison. Sadly Sanders committed suicide in Spain on April 25, 1972, and left one of the most famous suicide notes which read, "Dear World. I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck."

No comments:

Post a Comment