Friday, July 11, 2014

It's time for the who gives a $#$% Emmy nominations.

Just read the list of Emmy nominees. First of all I didn't know that Orange is the New Black is a comedy series. I thought it was a serious drama about women in prison. Hmmm. But after reading the list, I have several opinions, which shouldn't surprise anyone.  Here are some. There are two many damned awards. It seems like everybody should be walking away with something, like those grade school kids who all get some kind of recognition. I think the judges only watch popular shows. I don't watch that much commercial tv, and I knew all those names. That says to me that less popular shows lose out because these judges only want to watch the hits.  The judges also only go with favorites. Yes, Jim Parsons is brilliant and essential to The Big Bang Theory, but everyone in the cast does a great job, and in many ways some are far more versatile than Jim. Mad Men has sucked for the past two seasons. Judges seem to favor crime, murder, rape, drugs, and bloodshed. In short, the judges are very narrow and unsophisticated  in their choices. But it's the Emmys so who cares? If I were giving the awards and they could go to any series, my choices would The Last Tango in Halifax, Call the Midwife, Death in Paradise, Mr. SelfridgeEndeavour and Scott and Bailey. But I'd have a real hard time deciding the best actress award between Suranne Jones, Lesley Sharp, and Nicola Walker, all brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment