Wednesday, July 31, 2013

"Send the money in unmarked twenty dollar bills..."

Today, like so many happy Florida homeowners, I received the new homeowners insurance booklet and payment plan. If you don't live in Florida, you may not know that this is one of the most corrupt states for home insurance and the premiums are obscenely high. Every lawmaker we've had has promised to reform these ever-skyrocketing rates, but none has. I suspect there are lots of pigs at this trough. Like most policies the one I received is written in a manner that would require a law school degree to understand it. Even though I have reduced coverage, it still costs almost $4,000.00 a year. So far I have been paying premiums for twenty years and have only filed one claim for a fraction of what I've paid in. Really the policy is no less intimidatng than  a blackmail letter or ransom note. Sadly, insurance in Florida is such a ripoff, many homeowners have chosen to go without any coverage because they cannot afford the climbing rates year after year. While the entire policy is offensive, there was one line that infuriated me above all the others. It was at the very end of the policy in the "NOTICE OF PREMIUM DUE" section. The line read Total Balance Due Now. This statement was a complete and total lie since the amount shown is not due until September 15, 2013, which is 46 days from now. I guess they wanted their blood money early.

No comments:

Post a Comment