Thursday, July 25, 2013

Was this really necessary?

Just in case you think emergency rooms at leading hospitals are centers of excellence, don't. Last year I had a painful sore behind my ear. It appeared suddenly and I thought it might go away, but it didn't. Unfortunately when I was worried enough to have it examined, it was Sunday when no doctors had visiting hours so I went a local hospital E.R. Luckily they saw me right away, unluckily they took their time attending me. There were the usual 1000 questions, and various persons popping in and out of the exam room. At one point they gave me a brain scan, which seemed unnecessary to me, but what did I know? They also fed me antibiotics intravenously. Especially unpleasant about the whole deal was a very officious female doctor who shouted orders, including telling a private physician on my plan that, yes, he would see me the following day in the afternoon. I was busy that following morning going to back to the same E.R. at their demand. They gave me another brain scan, this time with "contrast" whatever that is. That afternoon I went to an incredibly pleasant doctor at a conveniently located office.  He saw me immediately, summed up the growth as nothing serious, was horrified at the treatment I got at the E.R. lanced the sore, bandaged it, gave me seven days of antibiotics and bid me farewell. The problem has not recurred.  The moral: If you have health insurance, get sick during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment