Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Author? Author?

One of the most deceptive industries is publishing. They are complete frauds and they get away with it. I first became aware of this when my deceased brother, a published writer, told me that one of his best friends wrote all the Margaret Truman mysteries. My brother later ghost-wrote a biography of Humphrey Bogart from which his name was later removed. This was very unpleasant news since I admired Margaret Truman and was disappointed to hear that she was so deceptive to her fans. I imagine that millions of people bought these books believing they were written by Ms. Truman. Fraud?  This week it was revealed that a best-selling book purportedly written by an ex-military man was actually written by J.K.Rowlng. Why is that not fraud? As a published author, I can tell you it is damned hard to write a book, so it always amuses me to see novels and bios by actors, sports stars, minor celebrities, and any number of other famous or semi-famous people who you know couldn't have written a book, (Sarah Palin being one of the most annoying frauds). I think the publishing industry should be forced to clearly state who wrote the published work before their next deluge of questionable literary efforts by George Zimmerman, Jodi Arias, and Honey Boo Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment