Sunday, August 14, 2016

THINK TWICE BEFORE BEING NICE.

I personally hate it when someone offers me their seat on the subway or bus. First of all I am quite capable of standing, and secondly it's a public acknowledgement that I am old. Also I think it's a way for the offerer to feel good about themselves. Some elderly people might be delighted to have a chance to sit down, but be damn sure that's the case before you make your grand gesture. Consider the situation with 68-year-old Wayne McEntire. He was travelling on the subway in Texas when someone offered to get up so he could sit in a priority seat for the elderly, people with disabilities, and pregnant women. Not only did he decline the seat, but this is what he did to prove he didn't need it.

Two comments: I like this story, but why was he offered the seat if, as shown, there are several available spaces? Also why do press stories always use the redundant expression "pregnant women"?

No comments:

Post a Comment