Sunday, January 11, 2015

Freedom of choice. Roku.

















Today I'm promoting a product. A product that costs very little and has improved my life greatly. Let me whine first. Night after night I flipped through the channels and could find nothing worth watching. Not on network channels (which are mostly commercials)  not on cable channels (which are mostly commercials) and not on premium channels, which are mostly reruns, movies that suck, and commercials for their reruns and movies that suck. Then someone recommended that I install a Roku, or rather that they install it for me since I am completely Luddite. The device cost me about $60.00. They put it in and signed me up for two of the providers: Netflix and Acorn. That was a month ago, and I have never used the Netflix because Acorn ($4 a month) has everything I want. And if you never heard of it you are missing some great commercial-free TV. Anzac Girls is a brilliant 6-part Australian series about nurses in World War I. A Place to Call Home is another superb Aussie series that outdoes even The Thorn Birds Midsommer Murders, Inspector Lewis, Cracker, Murder in Suburbia, Accused, Foyle's War and Murder Investigation Team are all British crime series that are far better than any of the crap on American tv. This week I plan to call Comcast and cancel all my premium channels, which I never watch. Truly, if you have wi-fi (a necessity) and an appreciation for quality television (also a necessity) I highly recommend you install Roku, which is available at Target, Wal-Mart and lots of other retailers. Enjoy.

Note: While this internet image is fuzzy, I have also found the picture on Roku to be clearer and brighter and the sound to be superior. Why? I have no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment