Saturday, January 17, 2015

Never judge a book by its cover.

I think one of the most corrupt, lying, and shameless industries today is publishing. As a person who has made his living writing and whose brother was a successful author, I realize that writing a book is very hard. I could not write a book. I would not know where to begin; would have trouble with transitions; not know when to end a sentence, or a paragraph or a chapter. Yet supposedly many famous people today have written books—many best sellers. I say bullshit. One can assume that Sarah Palin, who cannot form a sentence did not write the books for which she is credited. George W. Bush could certainly not write a book. But I think the same applies to somewhat brighter celebs like Marco Rubio, Mitt Romney, Ben Carson, Jeb Bush, Mike Huckabee, and most politicians. One would have to assume there is an army of facile authors out there willing to forego the glory of authorship so some politician can appear to be far more intellectual than he or she is. But it is not only in the arena of politics that the publishing industry uses deception to foist off ghost-written books. I know that Margaret Truman did not write all those D.C. mysteries. Most movie stars did not write their autobiographies. And I would guess that even popular true crime writers have kept up with the demand for their books with the help of "assistants". Why is this bad?  Because most people are so naive and so unknowing they buy a book believing it was written by the person whose name is on the cover. I don't think, for instance, that Bogart, In Search of My Father would have sold nearly as many copies if credit was given to the actual author, Gary Provost. Fortunately for the credit-happy Bogarts, including Lauren, Gary died in 1995 at the time of publication. The publishers were only too happy to leave his name off the cover.

1 comment: