Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pickpockets.

If there is an immoral business, I would suggest that it's the Lottery. This is a money-making venture that attempts to convince persons that they have a chance of winning millions of dollars when their chances are less than minuscule. Because of this deception, millions of people squander their hard-earned money on tickets—many wisely with disposable income, but far more foolishly with rent and food money. Living in Florida, I see poor Cubans lined up every week to purchase Lotto tickets and scratch-offs that deplete the family funds and have little chance of winning. I'm not immune from this disease. I  personally have purchased the same number for 12 years, twice a week, every week. No great danger. I can afford to.  During all that time, I have hit three numbers eight times. That's how insane the odds are. Yet, I continue because I imagine my number coming in when I don't purchase it. That's how insane the thinking is. Bad enough for a semi-reasoned person like me. But there are the dirt-poor super-optimists who are convinced they're going to win, and the conscienceless Lottery Commission who is more than happy to tell them they will. Despicable. When Lotteries first began, it was not allowed to suggest on a commercial that the person won. That has changed. A current commercial, which is not yet on YouTube shows a man who has been frequently hit by lightning and has also won the jackpot in the Lottery. I consider this an obscenely deceptive commercial from a commission that has no morals at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment