Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Where did you find that syllable?


I noticed in the new Campbell's Kitchen commercials, they try to whet our appetite with the word "sizz-el-ing" when showing their product. Of course there is no three-syllable word sizzeling. The word has two syllables and it's sizzling. But I can't blame Campbells. This adding an extra syllable to dozens of words in commercials (and even the news) is epidemic. We are encouraged to enjoy gambeling, cuddeling and wresteling. We are told that diseases are crippeling and lots of new products are worth sampeling. I don't know if a memo went out telling everyone to add an extra syllable to a list of provided words, but I didn't get it. I still don't get it. But it seems to me that voice talents who are well-paid should know the language somewhat better than the rest of us. Or is that just me grumbelling?

No comments:

Post a Comment