Saturday, June 19, 2010

Does someone have a hammer?


I can't recall who the person was who first stole a garden gnome, took it on an extended vacation, and photographed it in such glamorous settings as Paris, London and Rome. It was a very clever idea—at the time. However, every reincarnation of it since has been a bore. The most boring of these bores are the Travelocity commercials in which the gnome with the super-irritating voice is seen either bored at home or living the high life in some hotel. Borrowed ideas are rarely impressive and the only reason I can even possibly stand these commercials is because a talented art director friend likes them and I have got to figure out why.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Crankster, Thank you for clearing that up. Embarrassed to admit I'd never heard of that story, although it rang bells with my husband. Still, basing an entire ad campaign on it is too much of a leap. Can't look at gnomes without thinking of "The Full Monty." Every time we're in the garden section of the hardware store I quote from the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. The only time since the kidnapped gnome that I have liked gnomes is in "The Full Monty." I hope your quotes don't encourage your husband to strip in the garden section.

    ReplyDelete