Saturday, June 26, 2010

Does Tequila rot your brain?

In a commercial for Hornito's Tequila one young man brags to his friend that he met an attractive cougar the night befores. As he dials that woman's number on his cell, the friend incongruously says, "Whoa my family's in town." Just then the cell phone on a nearby table rings and both men immediately wonder if the cougar could be the visiting mother. This is the perfect example of a supposedly funny commercial that lacks any kind of logic, beginning with the number of phones that may be ringing at any one time. I guess the only point was to remember the name of the tequila, which I didn't until I made it a point to write it down. In fact, I so didn't recall the name that I didn't even realize until later that a commercial I like is for the same product. In this spot a very hard looking woman is calling in sick. But we soon realize she is doing it for a young man who is making use of her raspy, whisky voice. Much more clever than the cougar spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment