Monday, June 14, 2010

Take two aspirin, and call me in the morning.


One of my least favorite companies is Bayer. Not only because so many of the products they make are, in essence, poison. But also because they seem to be leaders in the world of gouging consumers. Their Advantage flea and tic medication for instance is outrageously overpriced—unless I am wrong and its main ingredient is gold. But I also dislike them for the past advertising they did for their most well-known product: aspirin. In past commercials, they showed "real" people who had supposedly survived heart attacks with the help of Bayer aspirin. The suggestion was that Bayer was the only brand that could have prevented their demise. While many doctors recommend an aspirin regimen and tell us to take aspirin at the first sign of an attack, any brand will do. Since Bayer aspirin, like all its products, is costly. I suggest a generic bottle of a hundred for a tenth of the price. Lately I noticed they don't imply that their aspirin is the one true lifesaver, but I suspect that is less their doing than some truth-in-advertising authority. I also fault Bayer aspirin for having the stupidest slogan of all time, which I don't think they use any more, "The wonder drug that works wonders." Duh! What else would a wonder drug do?

No comments:

Post a Comment