Thursday, December 3, 2020

YOU COULD HAVE FOOLED ME.

There's a lot talk about James Corden's role in the new film The Prom. Many critics found his role as a gay man offensive and felt his vulgar performance was decidedly unfunny. I can go them one better: I never found Corden funny, and I always thought he was gay. But then I seem to be the only gay man I know who thinks "queer" is a very offensive word, right up there with the "n" word, yet critics use it all the time. So I find it odd that a critic on the Washington Post would be offended by Corden's performance and then use the word "queer" with casualness.  Yes, I know that many gay men have embraced that word as a defense against its pejorative use. Absurd. It is not a defense, it is just more ammunition. Anyway James Corden is straight. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment