Saturday, December 26, 2020

SEX DOES NOT A SCREENPLAY MAKE.

 Years ago my friend Peter wrote a screenplay, Pride and Sensibility, a satire of Jane Austen obviously, whose heroine Henna Roughbottom was forever getting into hilarious situations. He never sent it out, despite my encouragement. Last night I watched Part I of Bridgerton, which I thought was a pathetic satire on Jane Austen despite the costly production and excellent actors. It wasn't funny enough. It wasn't believable enough. One could only enjoy spotting the many scenes lifted from Ms. Austen and made erotic for no good reason. If not for the sets and costumes, it wouldn't be worth watching at all. I'm sure it will probably be a success since few viewers seem to appreciate quality anymore in this age of super heros and cartoons. Bridgerton did have one virtue: It encouraged me to watch any version of Pride and Prejudice, though I'll probably watch the longest one in which Colin Firth is Mr. Darcy.

No comments:

Post a Comment