Monday, December 21, 2020

DEATH OF TWO ICONS.

I wish I had read the item below on the Internet ten years ago before I bought my two Eames chairs. As beautiful as they are there are many imitations which are nearly as beautiful and far stronger and much, much cheaper. I bought an imitation 52 years ago, which is in perfect shape while my two originals sit broken and unrepaired on the floor waiting to be restored. It isn't just an economical issue, I was sitting in one when the back fell off and I could  have suffered serious damage if I hadn't been clued in by the sound of  ripping wood. So if you're one of those admirers whose thinking of spending thousands for an Eames recliner and ottoman, I encourage you to purchase an imitation, one that is held together by screws and not glue. Both my chairs lasted ten years, and then suddenly began to fall apart. Finding someone to repair them was difficult enough, and the cost is commiserate with the skill.

After many years, the rubber in the shock mounts can shrink and become brittle. This may cause the chair to completely fall apart. While all the best replicas also have the rubber shock mounts, they don't cost nearly $5000 or more dollars.


No comments:

Post a Comment