Thursday, March 5, 2015

"Your money or your sight."

I want to reiterate, or iterate (did you know they mean the same thing?) among the greediest andthe scummiest industries in America are ophthalmic pharmaceuticals. Millions of people are in danger of getting glaucoma. Many of them are poor or middle class. But that doesn't stop the ophthalmic companies from charging outrageous monthly fees for their tiny bottles of liquid or cream. All of these products are obscenely overpriced to satisfy the greed of uncaring and opportunistic manufacturers. When I recently went to my ophthalmologist, he gave me a sample tube of Lotemax, a product of Bausch and Lomb for dermatitis related to the eye. I used up the tiny tube very quickly and was distressed to find filling the prescription cost $250.00. Today I did fill it, and was amazed to find that for that price I got a tube not much bigger than the sample: net wt. 1/8 oz. Tell me this isn't sheer blackmail! Fortunately I can afford this, but I think of all the elderly people across America worried about getting glaucoma or having other vision problems and being handed prescriptions that they can't possibly afford because this area of pharmaceuticals is the most avaricious and uncaring.

No comments:

Post a Comment