Friday, March 6, 2015

Costly cologne. Stinko name.

I don't know who does the marketing and advertising for Dolce & Gabbana, but I know I am supposed to find it elegant and aspirational. Then why do I always find it so hilariously comical? Their recent ubiquitous poster of two stone-faced models in bathing suits looked to me like the most bored and unhappy married couple of the year, though I think I was supposed to envy this erotic swimsuited couple in their Riviera setting. Now as much as I love Colin Farrell's look and appreciate his magnetism, I find their new campaign just as laughable. Not because of Farrell, who is obviously gorgeous, but because of the name of the cologne: Intenso. I'm guessing Intenso is an Italian word—but in translation it really sounds stupid. You can't just replace an e with an o and think you've come up with a brilliant product appellation. What's next in the line? Immenso? Incenso? Defenso? I appreciate that D & G is attempting to be avant-garde and daring, but they are coming off as flamboyant and foolish. Maybe that is what their pretentious customers want, but I would hope with the services of a super star like Farrell they could come up with something more creative, provocative and certainly more masculine than Intenso.


No comments:

Post a Comment