Monday, January 13, 2014

Coming distractions.



"A filmgoer irked that other audience members were texting at a Mark Wahlberg war movie opened fire in a Florida theater Monday, killing a man and wounding a woman, authorities said."
This is why I don't go to the movies anymore. Not because I think someone will shoot me while I'm texting. (I wouldn't think of texting in a movie.) And not because I fear I would shoot someone who was texting. (I don't own a gun.)  But because people are so incredibly rude one can't enjoy any movie any more without seeing lights popping up all over the theater as audience members check their e-mail or answer a call. I'm not surprised someone became so unhinged by this kind of audacity that they started firing. It's very sad that modern society often pushes delicate and, yes, violent people over the edge. The shooter's life is over because he wanted to see a movie and someone else desperately wanted to send someone a message. If I sound like I feel sorry for the shooter, I do. I can so understand that kind of fury. And unless theater-owners find a way to deal with this, more people will be injured or dead or do what I do, which is stop going.

No comments:

Post a Comment