Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A country in hiding.

I still write letters. Letters of praise and letters of complaint.  I print them out. I address them, stamp them and drop them in the mailbox. But it is become increasingly harder to do this since so many companies and people seem to be afraid of having their whereabouts known. Look up any major company and you'll see how difficult it is to find their corporate address. Has everyone become paranoid? This may make them feel safer, but I think it poses problems. Celebrities, for instance, of any ilk are missing thousands of fan letters they might receive, since every piece of correspondence must go through their agent (whose address you also can't find).  I think this greatly diminishes their appreciation of how they are perceived by those they perceive to be their public. I have been trying for years to write to an actress on whom I based the main character of one of my plays. She is so impossible to locate, you would think she was in the witness protection program. I'm sure she can live without my compliments, still she might like to know she inspired something. Then there are the companies who will never know how millions, yes millions, of consumers feel about their products. Why? Because they have not given them a mailing address. And I truly believe that one pithy letter from a consumer can help a company make enormous changes. What I really love are the political and charitable organizations who will give you their e-mail address and form to fill out when they plead for your donations. But they will not give you a mailing address, assuming that every person in American is computer savvy. I'm certainly not. While I still write letters, I also still write checks. And no charity without a mailing address will ever receive a dime from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment