Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Famous stars trapped in failed fantasy.

I'm guessing it's not easy to respond to my blog because almost nobody ever does, except one friend. Too bad because sometimes I would really like feedback. Especially with this post. Because if anyone reading this liked the new movie, Oz the Great and Powerful, I would love to know why. It doesn't give me any pleasure to be so critical. I love all the stars: James Franco, Michelle Williams, Rachel Weisz, etc. I love the color, the sets, and the special effects. Everything was good but the movie. Despite the tornado, the gorgeous color, the interesting sets, the story seemed empty and flat. But I am not writing this as a review of the film, but because, once again, I am perplexed. How is it possible to create a boring 130-minute film that  involves so many talents, costs so much money, has such a strong literary heritage, is related to one of the greatest films of all time, and features A-list stars?  Even the film's talented actors seemed to have no belief in the pedestrian script and overwrought story line.  Despite the success of Wicked, which I have never seen, I think The Wizard of Oz is best left alone. It is unlikely that anyone can improve on the beyond brilliant 1939 film, so why even try?



No comments:

Post a Comment