Wednesday, December 25, 2013

L'amour, L'amour


During my recent winter vacation in Boston, I fell in love at Dunkin Donuts. It came as a huge surprise to me and, of course, nothing came of it. Nothing could since she belonged to another.  It was a bitter cold day and I was sitting in the window of the Dunkin Donuts behind Copley Square. The crowd were the usual business people: workmen, secretaries, businessmen in expensive winter coats, and a woman so wrapped up you couldn't see what she looked like. She had a dog on a leash, a older golden retriever. Since it was obviously not a service dog, I wondered if they would ask her to leave, or if they allowed dogs in Boston restaurants like Dunkin Donuts. While the woman remained bundled, the dog had thick enough fur to deal with the cold. Anyway she got into line, which was long,  and inched her way along with all the other customers. I was watching her dog obediently trot beside her when she, the dog, looked my way. Our eyes locked and, gazing into her large brown soulful eyes I felt an immediate affection and tenderness to this animal. You knew that this was a kind and superior creature and must be a great companion to the woman, As they moved along the line the dog, kept looking over toward me. I just knew she felt the same connection I did. Lately I have been debating getting another dog and I am sure if this one needed a home, I would probably start booking her flight to Miami. How did I know she was a she. Because at one point the woman said,, "Sit Annabelle" and Annabelle sat, still looking my way The woman filled her order, readjusted her scarf, hat and gloves and headed toward the exit, Just before she left,, Annabelle looked my way one more time and they were gone. I think love at first sight , while a romantic notion, is very rare with people. Buy I think it happens all the time with animals.

Note: No, this is not Annabelle. I don't take pictures and never have. Something I rarely regret. This being one of those rarities.

No comments:

Post a Comment