Friday, December 6, 2013

Having seen the original Broadway production of The Sound of Music with Mary Martin and having seen the film during its first run at the Gary Theater in Boston, sitting in a balcony filled with nuns, I was inclined to not like the 3-hour NBC version. But that wasn't the case. Despite the more than 100 commercials, 10 to 12 at each break, the program held my interest. It is no easy task to compete with Julie Andrews and a zillion dollar production directed by Robert Wise, but I think last night's show has its own special charms. For one thing, it wasn't imitative. They stayed true to the original Broadway production, and even had the courage to include the song, "No Way To Stop It" with which almost no one is familiar. I do wish they had included "An Ordinary Couple" instead of reprising the movie's popular song, "I Must Have Done Something Good." But no big deal. The sets were handsome and never intrusive. The kids were all excellent and seemed enough like a real family to stop me from nitpicking. In fact,  everything went amazingly well for such a complex live performance. One forgot immediately the unlikelihood of a African American Mother Superior in Germany after being instantly charmed by Audra McDonald. Kudos (never know how to use that word) to everyone, especially the two leads who were excellent. Stephen Moyer obviously had more acting chops as well as a strong singing voice, but what Carrie Underwood lacked in thespian skill she more than made up in charm, beauty and superb singing. I've already seen some of the reviews which are petty and carping attacks on a production that was far, far better than one should have expected. I'm sorry to see so many critics demanding so much when we should be grateful that NBC even cared enough to do this live musical program. Since I can remember when Broadway musicals were frequently presented on television, I appreciated this production wholeheartedly and am glad I didn't hang with the naysayers as I had expected to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment