Saturday, August 20, 2011

Stupid things we do and think.

I do a lot of dumb things. Last night another one was brought home to me. Let me go back 51 years to explain. When I was 17, I dated a beautiful girl named Leslie (odd, but true) who was going to Boston's Leland Powers School of Drama. I was proud of her when she got the lead in The Gazebo, a play recently done on Broadway. I wasn't as impressed with the play which had also been released as a movie. The point is that I got it into my mind that the film The Gazebo was a bore, and that thought stayed there for decades.I always imagined it as this tedious comedy with Glenn Ford and Debbie Reynolds that was all talk and little else. Therefore whenever it was on Turner Classic Movies, I certainly had no interest in seeing it. Why would I? It was a typical 50s farce that probably bombed at the box office and didn't have a laugh in it. But last night my curiosity got the best of men and I tuned in to watch it at 8 pm. It was hilarious. Despite having all kinds of plot holes, it had some of the funniest physical comedy I have ever seen, Who knew that Glenn Ford could be so funny? Everyone else was good too. Debbie Reynolds was at her most appealing and beautiful. It even featured Carl Reiner. A single moment involving Doro Merande had me in hysterics for twenty minutes. So what's the point of this post? That we all cling to stupid and illogical beliefs or memories that are absolutely incorrect and by being loyal to these false memories we are probably missing out on lots of pleasure. That's all. No big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment