Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Whoa. It's a calcium supplement.

I have the greatest respect for women. I think women can do almost anything a man can and can do incredible things that a man can't. I think women should get equal pay for equal work. I think women, and only women, should be in charge of their own reproductive decisions. I think women are great. But I do not think they move the world. This seems to be the premise put forth by Caltrate in a well-done campaign designed to flatter every female. Of course while doing their many creative and inspiring commercials they never actually explain why women move the world as opposed to men who I guess just sit there watching. I'm sure if I confronted them, they would give me some explanation about how it's just a matter of semantics and, of course, men move the world, too. But that's not what these commercials say. This clearly states that women move the world and show us women running (lots of running) teaching, surfing, hiking, and filling important positions like being a construction foreperson or firefighter. All admirable roles but not exactly earth-moving. I find it very disingenuous when any company tries to relate the accomplishments of anyone with their product. Is the subliminal message that you, as a woman, will be a greater achiever if you remember to take your Caltrate. It's not a miracle drug. It's a calcium supplement. And "Women Move the World" is an ass-kissing slogan and campaign designed to sell more Caltrate and I find it pandering. So pandering, in fact, that I would wager it was dreamed up by some man.

No comments:

Post a Comment