Friday, March 4, 2011

A word you'll find very handy.


Decades ago a close and still-dear friend introduced me to a made-up word that he had picked up from a newspaper article by a writer who coined the word and its definition, which I will provide in this post. The word was so suitable for so many occasions that it wasn't long before all my friends and their friends found it invaluable. We haven't used it much lately, maybe because it's a fun word and life hasn't been all that hilarious lately. But I think it's time to revive it. The word is "cheaps." I'm not sure of that spelling since I never saw the original article and I don't think my friend recalls the spelling. What it means basically is embarrassment. Not always for yourself, though you can have self-cheaps. More often for or because of someone else. "My best friend sang so badly it gave me the cheaps." "Sarah Palin is so stupid, she gives me the cheaps." "We did such a bad job of our annual play, we had group cheaps." "Nothing gives me the cheaps like sentimental cards." "This week Charlie Sheen gave everyone the cheaps." We all know someone who gives us the cheaps. We all remember times when we had a major case of the cheaps. Trust me: Start using this word and in no time at all, it will be essential to your lexicon. (When someone uses an unfamiliar word like "lexicon" just to look smart, doesn't it give you the cheaps?)

Note: The Sarah Palin line is incorrect. She does not give me the cheaps. A person would have to be somewhat liked for you to feel any embarrassment for them. Quite the opposite. I take great joy in Sarah's every blunder, boner and historical inacccuracy. However, I bet you anything she gives her family the cheaps.

3 comments:

  1. In my mind, I always spelled it "cheaps." As in, "deserving of scorn, contemptible." Which was perfect.

    Spelling it "cheeps" makes me think of little yellow Easter chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I am not sure how it is spelled, I defer to my one and only commenter. I have changed the spellling to cheaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you didn't have to do that (unless, of course, you agree). I hope the little yellow Easter chicks won't be sad. By the way, I've decided how from now on I will spell the name of the soon-to-be-ex-leader of Libya. Al Jazeera English spells it "Gaddafi." I figure they must know what they're talking about.

    ReplyDelete