Wednesday, March 23, 2011

With the death of Elizabeth Taylor, I am sure there will be endless tributes as there should be. While most of them will celebrate her incredible beauty, HuffPost, stupidly I think, did a photo series taking her from her most beautiful to her recent states of infirmity. Why, I can't imagine. In reading comments from her fans,what surprises me are the number of people who cite as their favorite Taylor films Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and Cleopatra. While the former was a depressing tour de force of acting, the latter was a complete loquacious bore redeemed only by Taylor's beauty. Even the weak Butterfield 8 was better than Cleo. But, unlike many legendary actresses, she left a large,still-watchable body of work: National Velvet, Father of the Bride, Suddenly Last Summer, Little Women, and 1944's Jane Eyre. Even her lesser efforts like The Sandpiper, The VIPs, Taming of the Shrew, and Raintree County have their loyal fans. To my mind she did her greatest acting as the outspoken Leslie Benedict in Giant and love-starved Maggie (the Cat) Pollitt in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, two films I never get tired of watching. As Maggie I think she was also at her most beautiful, but then so was Paul Newman. Pity this clip is squashed a bit as you can't fully appreciate how beyond gorgeous these talented stars were in what was also an superb film. In fact, I think it's time to watch it yet again if only to hear Elizabeth complain about "the no-neck monsters."

1 comment:

  1. My favorite Elizabeth Taylor film (she hated to be called Liz) was
    Suddenly Last Summer.

    ReplyDelete