Sunday, March 20, 2011

How to treat older people.


The woman at the local overpriced gas station/grocery store is always happy to see me. I am not as happy to see her since she always refers to me as pappy. I assume this is the Cuban way of saying old man. And while I am old, at 68, I don't think I deserve the grandfather appellations just yet. But she is a perfect example of how people do not know how to address and communicate with older people. In fact, we over 65 are insulted on a daily basis, either wittingly or not. Every time you tell a person my age or older they are having a senior moment, you are insulting them and possibly even frightening them since one always worries about senility. Some people are deliberately cruel for whatever reasons. I had a youngish overweight friend who would often say in response to one of my beliefs, "Yes, but you're old." I always wanted to say, "Yes, but you're fat." but never did. I assume anyone reading this has a delicate ego and would not like to have their most obvious flaws pointed out to them. Age is a flaw that one can do nothing about like a weak chin, a receding hairline or being short. It shouldn't be acknowledged any more than those frequent shortcomings. I don't like for anyone to offer me a seat on the bus, proffer the senior discount or call me pappy. I don't even like older people to play that game, "What are you, about my age, 80?" Old people were young people. They still have the same mind, memories and pride. They don't need to be treated like they have moved into some kind of invisible holding area before death and need special treatment and altered conversation. Anyway that's my gripe of the day. And if you don't get what I'm trying to say, trust me, you will. And here's my poem of the day:
Of all the judgements made on me,
I am most depressed
Not by slurs said in spite,
But comments made in jest.

No comments:

Post a Comment