Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Who hired this woman?


In the "I don't get it" department, here's something that has always mystified me. A doctor deals with the sick. The sick are often fearful and in need of an encouraging word. Yet often the first person you speak with is a cranky, cold, abrupt appointment secretary. After having a series of migraines, I called a neurologist's office today. After the phone rang about five times, it was answered with an breathy, annoyed, "Hold the line, please." After another minute or so, I got an impatient, "Can I help you." When I told her I wanted to make an appointment, I got the feeling that it was a great inconvenience. And because it was she asked her series of questions with a tone that suggested I might actually lie to her about my birth date, social security number or address. Once she had all the required information, she seemed delighted to tell me that first appointment was almost a month away. When I expressed disappointment, she delighted in pointing out, "That's the first appointment we have." I did get her to reluctantly agree to notify me of any cancellation. This exchange was surprising because it wasn't surprising. I have not found it unusual to have doctor's receptionists with absolutely no bedside manner. It's also true that most first-contact staff members are warm and polite. Anyway, while people can be rude in any social circumstance, I think being crabby when making an appointment for a new patient is particularly egregious. Does she do this every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment