Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A taxing afternoon.


I used to feel that I was smarter than most people. Not any more. Because everybody seems to be able to perform functions I can't. Today it was trying to prepare my taxes on the internet. My first attempt was with Turbotax, but after it kept rejecting my password and not giving me a good reason why, I gave up. I next tried TextACT, who also asked for all kinds of information and then left me stuck in the middle of a form I didn't understand at all. As you know, you can never speak with a helpful human being on these sites and if your question isn't one of the 263 they have listed, you are out of luck. Still millions of people use these services who must have some skill that I completely lack. I thought this would be an easy tax year because all I have to declare is social security income and interest from a couple of banks. But it looks like it's going to be a pain. I guess it's back to the dreary, flourescent-lit offices of H & R Block for another of their relatively easy, but highly overpriced, preparations.

No comments:

Post a Comment