Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Vanity not so fair.

I cannot get over the fact that the media have so willingly, generously, and completely embraced Caitlyn Jenner. She (I'll use she though I don't totally accept it) is being treated as if she were some kind of heroine. They speak of her character, her beauty, her groundbreaking courage. The Vanity Fair cover is being treated as if that is how Ms. Jenner will appear from now on. Now while I don't detest Caitlyn, I also don't like her. It has nothing to do with the alleged change or the publicity. Frankly, I just don't like her. First of all she's a Republican and during her Diane Sawyer interview she made a snide comment about President Obama who has done more for her new freedom than any right-wing bigots. Plus, like most of her family, she is a shallow publicity hound. She has not been a serious spokesperson for transgenders so much as an agent for her own future wealth and fame. Her passion seems to be less about achieving equality for transgenders than it does for being decked in costly jewelry and designer gowns and having cosmeticians make her as beautiful as possible. And finally, I don't accept that a conflicted person who has not had gender reassignment and suggests that "is down the road" has changed his or her sex. Just saying, "I am a woman" does not make you so. So while the media has totally become enamored by this pseudo-transgender person called Caitlyn, I see a wealthy, vain Republican cross-dresser named Bruce.

No comments:

Post a Comment