Monday, June 1, 2015

Being an atheist, I don't understand why people are so disturbed at the idea that you live a certain number of years; you die; and you never exist again. I'm 72 and that concept doesn't bother me at all. Why? Because I'll be dead. I won't have any thoughts, regrets, longings, anything--dead. The world existed for billions of years before I arrived. I have no memory of any of it. And when I'm gone, I won't have any awareness of the eternity that comes after me. I'll be dead, which is to say non-existent. No, I will not be dragged out my grave on the great come and get it day. I won't have to stand in line with billions of other once-dead people and find out if I'm going to a super-boring heaven for always and ever, or to a fiery hell. I will experience nothing ever again once I am dead. How can that bother me? It can't, because I'll be dead. Which I think is far preferable than that creepy day of reckoning that the super superstitious so anticipate with frightened enthusiasm. What arrogance. To think one is so important that you should be entitled to eternal life. Why? What's so special about you? Nobody deserves eternal happiness, just as nobody deserves eternal suffering. Which is why I am glad there is no such thing. I love living. So much to do, so much to see. But when I am dead, I won't hate it. Why? Because I'll be dead. I won't hate anything, won't love anything, won't need anything, won't be anything.I find that very comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment