Sunday, August 31, 2014

Where you could walk forever.

I would be thinner and healthier if I lived in New York City. When you live in Miami, the only way to stay fit is to join a health club, which I don't intend to do. You can't walk in these blistering temperatures unless you're willing to risk heat exhaustion and melanoma not to mention the boredom of the always-the-same tropical settings.  If you go to the beach, your skin cancer odds go up even more unless you slather yourself constantly with sun block and hope that sharks don't like that way it tastes. Now, in NYC you can walk for hours beneath those often gray skies, and never become bored by the fascinating sights of the world's most interesting city. No need for stair climbing machines, the steps to the Metropolitan Museum and other landmarks will keep you fit.  While it's true that Manhattan has far better food choices than Miami, New Yorkers actually find lots more things to do than eat. Miami's main pastime. The last time I was in New York, I walked to Brooklyn Heights from 34th Street, which meant crossing the Brooklyn Bridge. I hiked up to 125th Street to see the diner where the Seinfeld gang hung out (hanged out?). I walked the full length of New York's High Line Park, an aerial greenway on the lower West Side.  I walked to the Battery and took the ferry to Staten Island. And even schlepped up 5th Avenue to the Metropolitan Museum of Art which offers its own miles and miles of indoor walking. However, since getting back to Miami, I barely have the energy in this humid weather to walk to the bus stop. So why don't I move to New York? Who can afford it?




No comments:

Post a Comment