Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Nation in forced mourning.

I hate lines like this headline from today's HuffPost, "The Moments We All Fell in Love with Robin Williams." I never fell in love with Robin Williams. I never found him funny. To me he was the irritating hyper kid in high school before the introduction of Ritalin. And while I accept that he was a very popular comedian and beloved by millions, I find this obsessive and overdone news coverage irritating as it is forced and artificial group-think. They are covering Robin Williams as if he were the second coming of Christ. Yes, he was successful, and he did a lot of charity work. But there are actual news stories we need to hear about instead of how he hanged himself. If you really loved him why do you need to know the gory details of his death. I loved Elaine Stritch. Someone else worshipped a rock star or opera diva. We mourn the celebrities we love. We do need the national news media telling us who we mourn or how diligently we should do it. Don't pull that crap that everybody loved the same somebody because it just isn't so.

No comments:

Post a Comment