Saturday, August 2, 2014

A deja vu death.

I saw a news item today that an American Idol alumni named Michael Johns was dead at 35.  Obviously this is a sad story. I have never seen American Idol and certainly don't know Michael Johns, but this kind of early death is always distressing news. The cause they gave for his death was a blood clot in the ankle. This may be true. Such things happen. But I recall that when Dorothy Dandridge died on September 8, 1965, they gave them same diagnosis. I recall how many people were spooked by the idea that a clot in the foot could result in your death. I'm sure many will feel the same again with this newest death. But it was later shown that Ms. Dandridge died of a drug overdose. I am not suggesting that that is the case here, but I certainly hope that authorities don't give false causes of death which save the reputation of the deceased but give lots of other people attacks of paranoia.

No comments:

Post a Comment